Sautéed Mushrooms (great with burgers, steaks, chicken, fish)



Sautéed mushrooms are a delicious side dish or topping, and they add a pop of flavor to so many different dishes: burgers, steak, chicken, fish, salads, and so much more.

What type of mushrooms to use

In short you can use any type! My two favorites are baby portabella mushrooms (crimini), and white button mushrooms. I used a combination of both for these photos.

white mushrooms on marble surface

Heads up: mushrooms shrink quite a bit when cooked. This is why I recommend using a whole pound (two of the picture cartons above👆🏻).

They cook way down, and I swear I could have eaten the whole pan myself because they are so delicious!😜 A pound should feed four people, with a little extra to spare (six servings total).

closeup sautéed mushroom in a copper pan

Sliced mushrooms or whole?

I like using sliced ones when making sautéed mushrooms. Why? Because it makes them a little easier to pile on top of something else without rolling right off.

That being said, feel free to use whole mushrooms. You will need to cook them a few minutes longer to cook them all the way through, FYI.

OR if you can only find whole ones, you can slice them yourself.

baby portabella mushrooms sliced on a cutting board

Just try to get the slices somewhat close in size to each other. They don’t have to be perfect, but just try to keep them close to the same size.

What fat to use?

I have aways used a combination of a neutral oil (avocado oil is my go-to) and butter. It just makes the sautéed mushrooms taste great, in my opinion. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have heard that combining oil with butter helps raise the smoke point. Then I saw a test done at Serious Eats that shows this is not entirely true. 🤔

Conclusion: if you have strong opinions about oil vs butter, go with your own preference. If not, try it my way (as written in the recipe card below), half oil and half butter. Even if I fail to understand why, it yields great results!👌🏻

spooning sautéed mushrooms onto cooked chicken breast

How to season sautéed mushrooms

I am using a simple blend of fresh garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. The butter also gives it some great flavor. And chopped Fresh parsley always gives it a fresh pop of flavor. I don’t always have some, but if I do, I add it.

A few tips I have learned along the way.

(1) Don’t add the salt until the mushrooms have already gotten some color on them (as outlined in the timing in the recipe below).

(2) Add the garlic toward the end to avoid burning. Burned garlic is no bueno! 😝

(3) Add the Worcestershire at the end with the garlic.

Heads up: most Worcestershire is not vegetarian/ vegan. If you are making this for an herbivore, you can use a vegetarian option. Or if you dislike Worcestershire, you can leave it out. I think it gives it fantastic flavor, though!

I am using Annie’s Organic brand, which happens to be vegan/ vegetarian. Lea and Perrins is also great, but not vegetarian/ vegan. Not sponsored, those are just my favorite ones!

A few other options to add in:

  • Splash of wine ( 1 to 2 Tablespoons will do the trick). Add it with the garlic, and allow it to reduce.
  • A tablespoon of Teriyaki sauce
  • Splash of balsamic vinegar (about 1 Tablespoon) – add this at the end with the garlic.

I would not try all those all at once! Worcestershire is my favorite, and I always keep some on hand. I would recommend  experimenting and using any of those three in place of Worcestershire.

Serving Suggestions

Chicken breast topped with mushrooms alongside green salad on white plate

Sautéed mushrooms would go great with any of the following recipes.

Sautéed Mushrooms Recipe

Did you try this my sautéed mushrooms recipe? Give it a star rating. Pin it and share it if it looks good to you. And be sure and stay connected on social media!

Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter

closeup sautéed mushroom in a copper pan

Sautéed Mushrooms

Sautéed mushrooms are a delicious side dish or topping, and they add a pop of flavor to burgers, steak, chicken, fish, salads, and so much more.


Author Marjorie @APinchOfHealthy

Ingredients


  • 1.5
    Tablespoons
    oil
    (I am using avocado)

  • 1.5
    Tablespoons
    butter

  • 1
    pound
    mushrooms
    sliced (I combined baby portabellas and white button mushrooms)

  • 2
    cloves
    garlic
    minced

  • 2
    teaspoons
    Worcestershire sauce
    (I am using Annie's brand, which happens to be vegan)

  • 1/8
    teaspoon
    salt
    plus more, to taste, prior to serving

  • pinch
    pepper
    plus more, to taste, prior to serving

  • 1
    Tablespoon
    fresh parsley
    optional, chopped

Instructions

  1. Add oil and butter to a large skillet, and heat on medium heat until butter melts.

  2. Add mushrooms, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring a couple times to make sure even cooking.

  3. Add salt and pepper, and stir to combine.

  4. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 2 to 3 more minutes, until mushrooms are tender.

  5. Add garlic and Worcestershire, and cook 1 minute more.

  6. Remove from heat, and add parsley (optional).

  7. Serve immediately. Great as a side dish or topping over chicken, steak, fish, etc.

Recipe Notes

Nutritional information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.

Don't add the salt until the mushrooms have already gotten some color on them (as outlined in the timing in the recipe).

Adding the garlic toward the end helps to avoid burning.

Heads up: most Worcestershire is not vegetarian/ vegan. If you are making this for an herbivore, you can use a vegetarian option. Or if you dislike Worcestershire, you can leave it out. I think it gives it fantastic flavor, though!

I am using Annie's Organic brand, which happens to be vegan/ vegetarian. Lea and Perrins is also great, but not vegetarian/ vegan. Not sponsored, those are just my favorite ones!

A few other options to add in:

  • Splash of wine ( 1 to 2 Tablespoons will do the trick). Add it with the garlic, and allow it to reduce.
  • A tablespoon of Teriyaki sauce
  • Splash of balsamic vinegar (about 1 Tablespoon) - add this at the end with the garlic.

I would not try all those all at once! Worcestershire is my favorite, and I always keep some on hand. I would recommend  experimenting and using any of those three in place of Worcestershire.

Nutrition Facts

Sautéed Mushrooms


Amount Per Serving


Calories 76
Calories from Fat 63


% Daily Value*

Fat 7g11%

Saturated Fat 2g13%

Cholesterol 8mg3%

Sodium 97mg4%

Potassium 256mg7%

Carbohydrates 3g1%

Fiber 1g4%

Sugar 2g2%

Protein 2g4%

Vitamin A 144IU3%

Vitamin C 3mg4%

Calcium 6mg1%

Iron 1mg6%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Post a Comment

0 Comments