How to Cut Watermelon (how to peel and cut into spears, cubes)



Today I am showing you how to cut watermelon, which is super handy in the summer.

Watermelon cubes in a clear bowl

Y’all need this little hack in your life. It saves so much money!

Our family used to buy the watermelon cubes from Publix. We would get really excited when they went on sale buy on, get one free. And somewhere along the way my kids decided to become watermelon monsters. 😆🍉

We could not keep it in the house! I knew I had to start buying them and cutting them up myself. And I kid you not, we can eat one the size seen here in less than 48 hours. 🤣🙌🏻

Side note: y’all may also like my post on how to cut a cantaloupe.

How to peel watermelon

The first thing I do is to cut off the stem ends.

watermelon with stem ends cut off

If you are going to be peeling and cutting the whole watermelon, cut off both ends. If you only want to do half, you can just cover the top of the half that you want to save with plastic wrap.

In my house, we are team peel-and-cut-the-entire-watermelon. 🙌🏻😉 So I cut off both ends.

Next, I carefully cut the watermelon in half. I start in one spot.

Cutting watermelon in half

And then I just roll the watermelon around, little by little, cutting more as I go.

Cutting watermelon in half

One the ring is cut all the way around, I cut it through the center.

Watermelon cut in half

The I lay one of the halves on my board, with the middle flesh-y side down. I start to peel away the rind with my knife, one section at a time.

How to peel watermelon

Keep rotating and cutting off the skin. No worries if you leave a little white from the rind. You can go back and remove that with your knife if you wish.

How to peel watermelon

How to cut watermelon into spears

After the peeling is all gone, I flip it on its side and make several large slices.

How to cut watermelon

The I flip the stack of slices back on the flat side. From there, I begin making long slices.

How to cut watermelon

How to cut watermelon into cubes

We prefer the bite-sized cubes at our house. So how do you cut watermelon into cubes?

First, follow the steps in the above section to cut watermelon into spears. Then, turn the stack of watermelon 90 degrees and do the same thing. Just like a checkerboard!

How to cut watermelon

Pro tip: use your knife as a scoop to lift up the cubes into a serving bowl or storage container.

How to cut watermelon

And that’s it! This particular watermelon yielded TWO of these large storage containers full of watermelon. This same method works on larger watermelons too.

While you are at it, why not try this in my watermelon feta salad?!

Watermelon feta salad with basil and balsamic vinaigrette on a white plate overhead

Or just grab some out of the fridge, like we do.

Hand grabbing a watermelon cube

I hope y’all enjoy! 🙏🏻 Happy summer!😘☀😎🙌🏻

What knife to cut watermelon with?

I recommend a large chef’s knife, well-sharpened and sturdy. I recently bought this Cangshan knife set, and I am obsessed (Amazon affiliate). But any good quality chef’s knife will work!

How long is cut watermelon good for?

Usually we eat ours pretty fast. On occasion we have kept ours for up to a week. But I got curious and did some digging. It turns out the official recommendation is 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator, after a watermelon has been cut.

Hand grabbing a watermelon cube

How to Cut Watermelon

How to peel and cut a watermelon into spears or bite-sized chunks.


Author Marjorie @APinchOfHealthy

Ingredients


  • 1
    watermelon
    (I am using a seedless)

Instructions

  1. Cut the stem ends off the watermelon. 

  2. Carefully cut the watermelon in half. I start in one spot and slowly roll the watermelon all the way around, little by little, cutting more as I go. (see photos above)

  3. Once a ring is cut all the way around, cut the rest of the way through the center, splitting the watermelon in half.

  4. Lay one of the halves on the cutting board, with the middle flesh-y side down. 

  5. Start to peel away the rind with your knife, one section at a time from top to bottom, while trying to preserve as much watermelon flesh as possible.

  6. Keep rotating and cutting off the skin. No worries if you leave a little white from the rind. You can go back and remove that with your knife if you wish.

  7. After the peeling is all gone, flip it on its side and make several large slices. (see photos above)

  8. Then flip the stack of slices back on the flat side. From there, make long slices. This will create long spears, and you can leave them this way if you like. (see photos above)

  9. To make cubes, rotate the watermelon (still on its flat side) ninety degrees, and make cubes. Just like a checkerboard! (see photos above)

  10. You can use your knife to scoop the chunks into a serving dish or storage container. Refrigerate anything you don't eat for up to a week.

Recipe Notes

Nutritional information will obviously vary, based on the size of your watermelon.

Nutrition Facts

How to Cut Watermelon


Amount Per Serving


Calories 112


% Daily Value*


Sodium 3mg
0%


Potassium 420mg
12%


Total Carbohydrates 28g
9%


Dietary Fiber 1g
4%


Sugars 23g


Protein 2g
4%


Vitamin A
42.7%


Vitamin C
36.8%


Calcium
2.6%


Iron
5%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

(Visited 991 times, 12 visits today)

Post a Comment

0 Comments